In this film, Kirk Cameron plays a dog psychiatrist who is famous for literally being able to read dog's minds. At the beginning of the movie, the character no longer retains this ability, but is nonetheless hired by an estate to use his gifts with the titular lucky dog, the heir to his recently deceased master's fortune. Throughout the course of the film, Cameron's character regains his ability to read the mind of the dog and uses this ability to discover the truth behind the former master's demise. But, he not only gains the ability to read the mind of the dog, as he can now actually turn into a dog. He learns the murderer is a wealthy relative.
- Kirk Cameron as Jack Morgan, a dog pyschiatrist.
- Chelsea Noble as Alyson Kent, Mr. Windsor's lawyer.
- John de Lancie as Lyle Windsor, Mr. Windsor's oldest nephew.
- Christine Healy as Margaret Windsor, Mr. Windsor's neice.
- Granville Van Dusen as Mr. Fister, Mr. Windsor's butler.
- Christine Cavanaugh as Bernice, the chef.
- Hansford Rowe as Mr. Windsor, the deceased owner of Lucky.
- Jane Carr as Maid, Mr. Windsor's maid.
- Taylor Negron as Reuben Windsor, Mr. Windsor's youngest nephew.
- James Avery as Calvin Bridges, Lyle, Margaret and Reuben's lawyer.